Sunday, September 22, 2013

Animal Rescue Stories : How I met Mitzibelle


I adopted a rescue dog named Mitzibelle. She was presumed to be nine or ten years old. Mitzi was abused, malnourished, had intestinal worms and tested positive for heart worm. She was examined by a veterinarian who said she would never survive heartworm treatment because she was so frail. After about 8 weeks, I could see that Mitzi was gaining weight and looking healthier. One evening, I stood over her and thought perhaps I should take her back to the vet because her tummy was starting to look bloated. My son commented that she was getting fat and my husband said jokingly, that perhaps she was pregnant. I thought about that, and remembered she was in heat when we adopted her. I put my hand on her tummy and sure enough, could feel puppies. I took her to the vet and it was confirmed she was pregnant with six puppies. The next evening, Mitzibelle went into labor. I stayed up with her all night delivering puppies. She had no teeth, so I had to help a lot. Mitzibelle was exhausted and got sick during the night. I took her to the ER and she was given fluids and anti-nausea medication. She did great after that. I was able to find good homes for all the puppies among family and friends, except for one female that I kept and named Kelsey. I had to make decisions about Mitzi’s health - I went ahead and treated her for heartworm. Now, four years later, Mitzibelle is healthy, energetic and loving life to the fullest. We take her and Kelsey to the dog park and go for long hikes through the woods. Mitzi and Kelsey love to be with each other and love their time at the park and cuddling with us.
Coleen Carlson
Lakeville, MN

Read other stories!

The Animal Rescue Site Home Page
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog. Please share your thoughts and leave a comment :)