Saturday, September 21, 2013

Animal Rescue Stories : Toothless now

This is Skitters. Guess why I named her that. I volunteered at my local shelter as a cat adoption counselor. In one cage I noticed one small lump inside a pillowcase. No matter how many times or who was trying to see her, she never came out. So one day I picked up the case and took it to a screened-in outdoor room. Well, she turned into a milkshake so back we went. I put a treat just outside the opening and watched. After about 10 mins, a small, orange paw came out and scooped in the treat. Did this several times, but she never came out. The next week, the same and the next and the next. I had three rescues at home and really didn't want another, but I couldn't leave her there. Home with me she came. Hid for weeks in my office with a litter box, kitty condo and water fountain. One day while eating, she let out a scream and dropped her food. Caught her, with GREAT difficulty, and off we went. Turned out she had severe stomatitis and was Bartonella positive. Had to have all her teeth removed and 3 laser surgeries. I was supposed to rub interferon on her ears for 180 days but I still couldn't touch her easily. Needless to say that didn't happen. So I waited to see what would happen. Nothing. Three years later she runs and jumps on my lap, lets me pick her up, most of the time, and gets along with my other rescue who was in the shelter for 2 years, cause she's a bully. I puree all her food, crunch up treats, and get special freeze dried salmon for only her. The best decision, not counting the other 4 rescues I have, that I ever made. Shelter animals are the best to be owned by. I even have a feral cat from the shelter living in my house that I've never touched in 3 years, but couldn't let her die. Hence the 5 cats that own me.
sandy
Ocean, NJ

Read other stories!

The Animal Rescue Site Home Page
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog. Please share your thoughts and leave a comment :)