Thursday, September 5, 2013

Animal Rescue Stories : Daley's Story

My husband & I started looking for a GSD to rescue on Petfinder In March of 2006. Within moments he said, "Call on that one I want that one!" I made the call, filled out the application & within 2 days she was ours. Daley's story isn't that dramatic, but the loyalty is why I want to share it. Daley was dropped off at a GSD Rescue by a friend of her owner. She said Daley was too much work. Daley had a litter of puppies in November & here it was March & she was being dumped. Daley was about 3.5 years old, never had any shots, never been to a vet, God only knows what happened to her puppies. The rescue spayed her, chipped her and fully vetted her.. and then charged us a small $200 fee to adopt her.
She knew all the basic commands, walked great on a leash and is absolutely beautiful! I always thought she was large for a female, at 11 years she's about 94 lbs. We kept her name "Daley", it only seemed fair to her. From day 1, she became my husband's shadow. We make jokes about how she's an appendage to him! In this picture, Dad fell asleep on the couch & as Daley always does, she got as close to her Daddy as she could. She's been a great Momma to 2 other puppies we've rescued, she's a fantastic dog. At 11 years old, I feel a tug at my heart every time I see her & my husband out in the yard, or snuggled up on the couch, because my poor hubby is going to be heartbroken eventually when she has to leave us.
I know you hear very dramatic stories of rescues and although ours is not that dramatic it's a perfect example of how you CAN adopt the perfect dog from a shelter or rescue.Why would anyone get rid of this perfect dog? It's ALWAYS been as if Daley knows we saved her & in return she's saved us, We love you Daley Girl!
Rebel L Ernst
Rockville, CT

Read other stories!


The Animal Rescue Site Home Page
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my blog. Please share your thoughts and leave a comment :)